Thursday, March 11, 2010

Feelin' It

Y'all, when did I stop being a twenty-something bohemian artsy urban hipster? In the past month or so I've really started to wake up to the fact that I don't look like a kid anymore. I've been reconciled to and even enjoying the burdens and responsibilities of true adulthood for many years now, but for some reason, it only dawned on me recently that I now have a full-grown woman's body and that I'm not really sure what to do with it. Blame it on the fact that my firstborn turns seven (7!) on Saturday, or spending a weekend with some friends I've had for nearly twenty (20!) years, or hearing decidedly square parental things come out of my mouth when I talk with my teenage stepson, or even watching too many episodes of "What Not To Wear." However you slice it, I am feeling my age and I'm just not sure what to do with it.

I took the pliers to the metal hoop earrings that I had installed in my ears at a piercing parlor the day before my nephew was born. That nephew is now thirteen (13!) and it's time for a new look. I decided to give contacts another whirl because, let's face it, I'm not going to have a face that's this wrinkle-free for very long and I don't want to spend my last good years behind glasses every day. I'm pondering every clothing purchase to understand the fashion choices between "barely legal" and "old lady." I'm working hard to keep my body in shape while I can still do it with relative ease. And I am praying that I age as well as my husband who, since entering his forties, seems to get sexier every year. If any of the rest of you have secrets for how you are dealing/have dealt with this, let me know.

No comments: