Tuesday, October 4, 2011

In the Autumn Garden


I've enjoyed watching the life cycle of the flowers in my garden this year. Right now most of them are brown or golden with dried hard seed heads. I'm trying to decide whether to cut some of them down later this month or leave them alone for what the gardening books like to call "winter interest." I imagine because I'm a big fan of just letting the plants, especially the natives, do their thing (which is not exactly the same as being a lazy gardener) that there will be a lot of interest out in the yard this winter.

The way things are going this month, I think I will go through yet another year without realizing my goal of planting some spring bulbs. It always seems like such a great idea when I'm at the height of planting fever in May and June. Then September and October roll around, the kids go back to school, we all get sick, the hard frost comes, and the next thing you know, it's bulb planting fail.

The good thing about gardening is that there's always next year.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: