Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Beet Red




Having little kids means you get asked "What's your favorite color?" a lot. Hands down my favorite color is beet red. The name, like the vegetable, seems so ordinary, like all other root vegetables, but that color - oh my! It's so sensual and earthy that it's no wonder "turning beet red" is slang for a deep blush.
 
 I love beets. When it's not god awful hot, I roast them with carrots and parsnips and eat them like the salty caramelized candy they are. I also like to have a jar of pickled beets on hand to tuck into salads. My favorite salad these days consists of red leaf lettuce, shredded carrots, chopped pickled beets, and feta cheese with a balsamic vinaigrette.

It's peak farmer's market time and I've been engrossed with making pickles from things I find there. Last year's epic pickle fail turned out not to be so bad after all. The dills I made were soggy and awful, but the regular bread and butter pickles and dilly beans were actually quite delicious when I no longer had pregnancy-related queasiness. I repeated those recipes last week and modified the execution of the dill pickles (fingers crossed). This week, I chose to pickle my own beets. They look gorgeous and I can't wait to taste them.
Posted by Picasa 

No comments: