Monday, December 20, 2010

2010 Winter Solstice Jack-o'-lantern Dance Party




There's something striking about the way the darkness closes in like a deep fog during the days surrounding the solstice. Then suddenly, in the weeks that follow, the light returns quickly as if the world is opening up with a big exhale. A few years ago, Ellis and I played with glow sticks on the solstice and I was thinking about that today as I made my way home from work in another snow storm. Charlie somehow tuned into that and asked me if we could play with "jack-o'-lanterns," which is what he calls glow sticks. I've had a bunch on hand since Halloween and we've developed a ritual for these long evenings: snap some glow sticks, turn off the lights, and set the iPod to shuffle. What happens next is pure spontaneous fun with darkness and light.
Happy solstice, everyone! We've made it through the darkest part of the year.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: