Friday, August 31, 2012

My Husband Went to Alaska and All I Got Was Nine Days at Home with Four Kids


The jobbity-job has been getting the old man down lately, so I sent him away to burn some of his vacation days at his ancestral home in the wilds of southeastern Alaska. For the next nine days, this will be his view...

 
Literally, this is what you see out the window of his parents' living room. Well, unless it's rainy and foggy, which is likely. Fortunately, my mountain man delights in the drizzle of his native climate.
 
For the next nine days, my view will continue to be this...
 

 
Really I couldn't ask for a better day to start my stretch of single parenting. We've been hanging out in the yard in the lovely weather, playing on blankets and in the wading pool, and eating a nice picnic lunch. I loved hearing the oldest tell his friend, "I've got a few things to do around the house before I can chill." My fears that they just might break me here all by myself have been at least temporarily allayed.

No comments: