Monday, July 18, 2011

Big Glasses

This upcoming weekend is my 20th high school reunion. I was feeling nostalgic, so I got out an old box of high school memorabilia. In that box, I found my old gigantic eye glasses from the eighties. I can't believe these are making a comeback.

This pair was the second pair of glasses I owned. My first pair that I got in 1982 when I was in fourth grade, had transitions lenses and an awesome initial decal in the corner like Laverne from Laverne and Shirley. The stems on the pair above loop down at the sides in a fancy way. I was living with my grandma when I got this pair, and apparently she was my style icon, since these have a distinct shuffle board playing quality.

This is the pair of glasses I wore when I started high school. They have aqua blue stems. The thing that blows my mind is that these glasses seem huge on me now, and I originally wore them when I was much smaller. No wonder I got contact lenses my freshman year.

This gray pair was my attempt to look understated and scholarly. This was as good as it got in 1989. After this, I transitioned to a pair of wire-rimmed Lennon glasses and let my nineties freak flag fly.

I've noticed that glasses seem to be getting bigger again as part of a larger 80's retro fashion trend. I hope that we can all pause before we go too far down that road. Unless of course, some young hipster wants to pay me hundreds of dollars for these awesome vintage specs. (Except for the first pair. I'm going to hang onto those until I'm eighty so I can look super sexy in the old folks' home.)
Posted by Picasa

No comments: