Friday, September 2, 2011

School Supplies






When we were little girls, my sister and I couldn't wait to go shopping for school supplies. There was so much potential for creativity in a fresh spiral notebook and a perfect unbroken colorful pack of crayons. I love going school supply shopping with Ellis, although, for at least the first grades of school here, the supplies are purchased to be put into the classroom supply that all kids use, so there isn't as much room to become attached to individual items. I understand the logic behind it with little kids, but at the same time, it's not quite as fun.

Since I've carried my love of school supplies into adulthood, I enjoy the time of year when the basics are so cheap. It's an opportunity to stock up on more thoughtful and reflective tools as we prepare to spend more time indoors for the colder months. One thing I do is buy extra supplies to use at home. For the past two days, Ellis and Charlie have been doodling in notebooks with markers and crayons and sharing their creations. This will be a great activity all fall and winter.

I also always buy some supplies for myself. Who can resist one cent spiral notebooks? Having tried fancy journals and Moleskines, I tend to always fall back on this cheap, tried and true basic that I've been using for my musings since I was in grade school. I save my more fancy instincts for choosing the perfect pen. This particular pen is still my favorite.

My friend Val, with whom I spent a lot of time in our college bookstore identifying really great pens, sent me a link this morning to this post at Mighty Girl highlighting school supplies for grownups. It made this bookish girl swoon with excitement for having the right tools for the introspective months to come.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: