Monday, October 15, 2012

Some Songs to Celebrate Eight Great Years, Part 2

In October 2004 (basically over the course of the whole month), I fell in love with a very good friend of mine. It turned my whole world upside down and changed everything for the better. To celebrate that happening eight years ago, I thought I'd share a few songs that make me think of us and the life we've built together.

 
 
Song #2: "Kathleen" by Josh Ritter
 
"Every heart is a package tangled up in knots someone else tied."
 
Over ten years ago, I was working at a non-profit and Josh started working there a few weeks later. I still remember the first time I saw him standing outside my cubicle looking distinctly Alaskan in his brimmed, wool-felt hat and parka. I remember thinking, I have no context for this person as I've never seen anyone quite like him. I guess I'd never seen the Northern Lights before. He remembers my flashing eyes peering at him with energy, curiousity, and their ever-present suspicion. We didn't fall in love until a couple of years later, but somehow, on that day, we got connected to each other for good.
 
The thing is, eight years later, the best part of my day is still the time he walks in the door. My heart beats faster and I can't help grinning from ear to ear. Eight years later, the things that I do and think don't seem real until I share them with him. Eight years later, I know that he will do anything I ask him to do with love and a good will, and I will do the same for him without batting an eye.
 
How is it that two independent-minded curmudgeons could be totally ruled by each other? I guess it's what we were always looking for.
 


No comments: