Thursday, August 11, 2011

Picnics

I am not one of those moms who carries around a bag full of stuff for my kids when we go out. I believe that travelling light is a good lesson to teach kids. It's fun to see how whatever surroundings you are in can provide you with the things you need, and I also like having a built in end time, for example, when hunger strikes and we have to go home.

However, I am a huge fan of the picnic lunch (or the picnic dinner for that matter). Having a picnic can make the ordinary act of eating a little special for the kids, and it gives me greater flexibility in the times available for our adventures.

Yesterday, I spent the morning making pickles (Pickles!), and by the time I finished, it was already 11:30. We've been having a great stretch of weather up here and I wanted to make sure that we had plenty of time outdoors, too, so I packed a simple picnic lunch and we headed to Dodge Nature Center. In fact, the added enticement of the picnic made Charlie more enthusiastic about taking a nature walk, which was not the adventure he wanted to take. If it were up to Charlie, all our adventures would be focused on procuring gumballs.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: