Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Using My Education


When we go to the library, I let Charlie pick his own books off the shelf for the most part. I end up reading a lot of strange things, only vetoing if I know I won't be able to stand reading something out loud over and over again for the next few weeks. On our last trip to the library, he chose a Spanish translation of a Clifford the Big Red Dog story: Clifford Y El Dia De Accion De Gracias or Clifford's Thanksgiving.

I've just gone with it and read the book out loud in Spanish. I studied Spanish for five years, so my pronunciation is pretty decent and the kids think it's hilarious when I say "Ay, No! Pobre Clifford!" when Clifford falls off a bridge into the water. Both Charlie and Ellis are fascinated by the language change and what the words mean. Sometimes I translate for them. I find it pretty funny that after two years of Spanish in junior high, two years in high school, and one year in college, Clifford El Gran Perro Colorado seems to be about the right reading level for me.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: